Possum Trot Orienteering Club has set these “virtual” DIY courses for your enjoyment during these unprecedented times. Please stay safe while following these guidelines:
- Keep social distance.
- Watch for pedestrians, cars, bicyclists, etc.
- Carry your own water.
- Consider your fitness level when choosing which course to do.
Printing one of our DIY maps indicates acceptance of the following waiver:
Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement
In consideration of being permitted to participate in any way in the Orienteering USA member club events, I and/or my minor child, our personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin:
1. I acknowledge that I understand that there are risks associated with orienteering activities and that I am in good health and if at any time I believe conditions to be unsafe, I will immediately discontinue further participation in the activity. The risks may cause minor injuries, serious injuries or in extreme circumstances even death.
2. I understand that the risks associated with orienteering may be caused by me through my own actions, or inaction, or the actions or inaction of others participating in the activity and that there may be other risks either not known to me or not readily foreseeable. I fully accept all such risks and responsibility for losses, costs and damages I incur as a result of my participation in the Activity.
3. I hereby accept and assume all such risks, and assume all responsibility for the losses, costs and/or damages following such injury, or death, even if caused in whole or in part, by the negligence of any and all of those involved with the running of the event (including but not limited to) Possum Trot Orienteering Club, Cities of Lenexa, Merriam, Olathe, Kansas City,and hold them harmless.
4. I have read this agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that I have given up substantial rights by signing it, and have signed it freely without the inducement or assurance of any nature and intend it to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law and agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect.
Maps and Courses
- Northwood Trails, Olathe, KS
- Heritage Park, Olathe, KS
- Possum Trot II. Shawnee Mission Park, Lenexa, KS
- Maps and Courses set by Orienteer Kansas around Lawrence, KS
Helpful Hints to Orienteer on Your Own
- There are no markers or tapes at the control location.
- You can track yourself on a GPS tracker (phone or watch).
- Or you can download the free UsynligO app (https://usynligo.no/about)
Best practices for UsynligO app:
- On your phone, set the app to track your location “always”. You can turn it back to “never” after you finish the course. This allows it to continue to track you even if your phone goes to sleep.
- In the app, go to setting and set:
- Control radius = 35 meters
- Min GPS Accuracy = 100 meters
- The app plays three sounds:
- One when you find a control (a chord of sounds)
- A different one when you pass a control but not the right one (for instance, you are going from #1 to #2 but you pass by #14) (this is a single note, doot-doot-doot)
- A triumphant trumpet sound when you finish
- You have to start at the triangle (start symbol) on the map. (Look backwards from the circle labeled 1)
- The app still misses some control locations. You can bypass this by going into settings (once you start the course) and switch to the “score” option. This will give you credit for every marker you find, and ignore any that you pass but the app doesn’t record.
- This is also a good setting if you don’t want to do a whole course, or want to go in a different order.
- Once you press “start” there is a five-second countdown.
- Use this to check your phone volume, make sure you can hear the sounds.
- If you need more time to put away your phone, etc. you can stand away from the start, then press “start”. It will give an option box, one of which is “automatic start”. If you choose this, the app will automatically start when you cross the start triangle.
- The app offers navigation assistance. You can use this function, or not. It’s fine to put the phone away and only use the app for tracking or sounds (in the background).